The country estate garden of Glenalla is a hidden world surrounded by native woods and moorland. Established in the late 18th century with extensive landscaping by the Franklin family since 1913. Beyond the house and walled kitchen garden are the formal elements of the rockery, rose beds, arbour and stone edged lily pond. There are collections of rhododendrons together with summer and autumn flowering trees and shrubs. A grassy walk leads through the wild flower meadow to a lake and bog garden. In the woods there are tree ferns and a beach maze with an historic standing stone. Fine specimen trees including The Handkerchief Tree.
Contact: Patrick Burkitt
Tel: 086 6064409
Open: Mon, Wed, Fri June 11th, 13th, 15th, 18th, 20th, 22nd (10am – 4pm) Groups by appointment
Admission: Donation to charity St Vincent de Paul & Donegal Pet Rescue
Directions: From Ramelton, take Rathmullan road for 5km to Ray bridge, take left after bridge, drive 1km to grotto, take right fork and continue for 2km, past gate house, take next right turn over cattle grid.